West Australian of the Year awards
Giving West would like to congratulate the recipients of this year’s West Australian of the year awards.
Mr David Flanagan has been awarded the State’s highest honour, being named Western Australian of the Year at the 2014 Western Australian of the Year Awards held last night.
David Flanagan is a geologist by trade but he’s also an entrepreneur who, in just ten years, built Australia’s fifth largest iron ore exporter Atlas Iron Limited. Atlas is a top 100 ASX-listed company which employs more than 600 people and generates revenues approaching $1 billion per annum.
David’s contribution to Western Australia goes beyond the mine site. He’s renowned for his personal philanthropic contributions to a variety of charities and Aboriginal organisations winning the inaugural Governor’s Award for Giving in 2011.
David was also the recipient of the prestigious Eisenhower Fellowship in 2013. David is the Chancellor of Murdoch University; he’s on the board of Giving West and the Australian Institute of Company Directors. David is a member of the Australian Prospecting Mining Hall of Fame.
The individual winners of each category are as follows:
- Ms Lena Nyadbi - Aboriginal Award – Sponsored by Wesfarmers
- Ms Louise Howden-Smith OAM - Arts and Culture Award – Sponsored by Woodside
- Mr David Flanagan - Business Award – Sponsored by Telstra
- Mrs Nicola Forrest - Community Award – Sponsored by Alcoa of Australia
- Winthrop Professor Kadambot Siddique AM - Professions Award – Sponsored by St John of God Health Care
- Mr Justin Langer AM - Sport Award – Sponsored by Hardy Brothers Jewellers
- Mr Timothy Lefroy - Youth Award – Sponsored by BHP Billiton
This year’s winners were announced at a Gala dinner on Friday 30 May at the Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre. http://www.celebratewa.com.au/awards.aspx